Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Waggin Train Chicken Jerky Treats Warning

I just feel like I need to post a warning here. I think these jerky treats are poison for our pets.. Maybe in real small doses. but I have thrown mine away. I abused them with my dogs and I am now paying the price...
My dog Rocky has been urinating around the house for awhile and I thought it was a behavior issue.. I was a bit worried so I took him to the vet about a month ago. His urine showed 30 times the normal amount of protein... dr thought maybe a little infection , put him on antiobiotics for 2 weeks, he seemed ok, then it started again.... I brought him back did another urinalysis and again. 30 times the normal amount of protein in his urine, plus some bile and his bilirubin excessive (signs of liver disease) they tested his liver and thankfully it was ok. dr asked what I am feeding him.. we couldn't hink what it could be.. I came home and started checking everything.. THEN I saw it.. The Chicken jerky treats 70% crude protein. Most treats are 4%-25%...this stuff is too high in protein when added to a high protein dog food in my opinion. I like to reward my dogs with treats, but this is not the treat I will reward them with anymore.
My other dog gained 6 pounds and became very lethargic... Both of my dogs are only 3 years old. After 2 days off the jerky treats I can see his energy coming back... I am hoping after this round of antiobiotics and being off the jerky treats, Rocky will have a full recovery with no permanent damage done.
There is a link I have read if you'd like to check it out:
http://carolonpets.com/blog/dogs/fda-investigates-jerky-treats-from-china/

Thanks for reading and hope to have educated someone :) please don't take this as a "scare". I
overdid it with the chicken treats. I think its all in moderation... I just want all to be aware of what has happened with my little guy
Thanks
Hannah

2 comments:

Heartbroken said...

Hi Hannah,

I agree, please read my horrific story below:

Please be aware that many Chicken Jerky treat brands that are manufactured in China have been making small dogs very ill along with killing them. Symptoms are: lethargy, vomiting, diareha, and anorexia (total lack of appetite except for the treats). To see this alert from the American Veterinarian Medical Association go to www.avma.org/ click on Pet Food Alert line and then click on Chicken Jerky Treat alert.)

Our two adorable Cavalier King Charles puppies, Lacie, 11 months, and Misty 7 months old, had been eating Smoke House Chicken Jerky treats from Petsmart on a daily basis (not as a supplement for their food, but as a treat after their evening meal). They both became very ill in July with the same symptoms, such as; lethargy, vomiting, diarrea, and anorexia (total lack of appetite except for the treats, which they loved and looked forward to). The test started showing signs of kidney failure which made no sense to the vets because Misty and Lacie are not related, and Kidney failure is rare with puppies. Both puppies received extensive care in the hospital along with test after test trying to figure out what was wrong with them. Vet bills started mounting up to over $9,000. Every meal had to be force fed except their nightly jerky treat which they got very excited about.

Mid September we found out about the AVMA warning, and immediatelty stopped giving them these treats, Our little seven month old Misty rallied and got better, but our sweet little Lacie never got better and this weekend our precious little 11 month old Lacie got much worse, and had to be put down at 5:30 last night. We were able to pray with her and love on her as she peacefully went to be with the Lord. She surely took a piece of my heart with her. I have been through a lot in my life, but I have never been through the extreme roller coaster pain that we have been going through in the last four months.

I wish someone had warned us about this product. I thought this product was American made. Only after I saw the warning, did I see in small print on the bottom of the package, made in China. I didn't know it, but this jerky treat has been making dogs sick well before April 2007. If someone had warned us, Lacie could have been spared this past painful four months of treatment, let alone having her princess life robbed from her at such a young age. Lacie was the most adorable sweet little feminine angel. She loved people so much that I was planning on having her be a therapy dog so that her and I could help people that are ill.

Please spread the word. After I send this to all the Cavalier breeders. I am going to send this warning to the other small breeds. It is so sad that I have to do this, but as long as Pets Mart and Costco and other stores only care about their profit margin we will have to protect our sweet little puppies on our own.

I know Lacie would never have wanted any other dog and owner to go through the pain and agony that she and her mommy and daddy have gone through. Lacie was our little angel and I don't want her to have died in vain, So I will not give up on spreading the word about these poisonous treats.

Sincerely,


Barbara Fafard
Email: fafardre@sbcglobal.net
(949) 766-0140

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to Barbara. I came Very close to that last week! My boy Bear got the typical Doggie-Anorexia, wanting Nothing but these treats. He stopped drinking and couldnt stand.
Its 4 days off them and he's eating and drinnking again and can stand up. These are Pure Poison!! It is like Doggie-Crack; they cant get enough until they are dead! Lets get so loud that SOMEONE has to pay attention!!